Monday, 3 October 2011

So far, so good...

So far, I'm really enjoying this term.  As I blogged before, I've picked up a couple of hours teaching 'Critical Introduction to Law'.  It's a really nice module, asking the students to think critically about what it is that they're doing, and challenging what they believe at every step of the way.  In addition, the assessment of the module is via coursework, 20% of which depends on their participation in seminars.

I had a seminar this morning.  It was amazing.  The majority of those registered to attend did so, and of these all of them had done the reading.  The time flew - they grasped the concepts that we were aiming for, and we had just enough time for me to introduce some of the things that they need to take into account for their essays due at the end of term.  I don't know if this level of preparation and participation will continue through the term - one of the other seminar leaders who has been teaching this module for years says that it might - but I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

In addition, this critical thinking is right up my street.  I don't excel at the 'heavy' philosophical stuff that our Law School loves to embrace, but this stuff is great.  Today we discussed Poe's 'The Purloined Letter' alongside a more 'meaty' article which uses the story to criticise American legal studies.  Easy to read (within reason), straight forward concepts, and loads to talk about. 

But, every silver lining has a cloud attached.  In this case, it is Freshers' flu.  Being incarcerated in a seminar room that has no opening windows or ventilation (can't the RSPCA at the least get involved?), means that I'm going to be in contact with the usual cocktail of Freshers' germs.   I've started sneezing, and I suspect that there's a dry cough in the offing.

Damn them!

No comments:

Post a Comment