Saturday, 17 September 2011

Ah. That's why it hurts...

The saga of the lower limb injury reaches, what I hope, is its climax.  I went to visit the physio on Thursday, to see if he could manipulate my muscles/tendons and give me some relief from the strains of the Lake District and help my recalcitrant limb back to health.

He's a lovely fellow, my phsyio, and really knows what he's doing.  So when he stood back, regarded my hoof and told me that it was indeed swollen, and asked why didn't I go and see him when I first injured it, I took him seriously.  He prodded, gently (which was a bit of a surprise - normally he's quite gung ho with my extremities) and told me to go and visit my GP to request a referral for an x-ray. In his opinion I could have a stress fracture.

So, Friday was spent in the clutches of the NHS.  First I had to undergo the scramble to get an appointment at the GP - you can't make one in advance unless you're willing to anticipate your need by about six weeks - and then to the hospital. 

Now, as a good researcher, I'd googled stress fractures, and was prepared to be told that nothing showed on the x-ray, and that I should go home and rest.  According to the items on the web that I'd found, it is unusual to be able to see a stress fracture on an x-ray - unless it's fairly severe.  So, I was thunderstruck when the radiologist (who was seriously cute...), came to tell me that there is a clear fracture on my lower leg, and that he was taking me down to A&E.  Another two hour wait in A&E, to have that diagnosis confirmed, given an appointment with the Fracture Clinic, and a pair of crutches later, and I was sent home.  Miserable, depressed, and particularly pissed off.  It looks as though I'm going to be out of action for about 6-8 weeks. 

So, I'm cheering myself up by writing emails of complaint to Tesco.  I find it strangely soothing to tell one of the great Retail giants exactly what I think of them.  It's a hobby....

6 comments:

  1. Ouch – that sounds painful .It is a good job you had it x-rayed.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank goodness for your physio, Old Girl! I imagine you must have been in a fair amount of pain and discomfort. At least you now know what the problem is and that there's an end (eventually!) in sight.

    Go for it with the complaints - always very therapeutic, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the compliants & hope the stress fracture heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of dodgy limbs!

    It will be long walks and an uncanny knack of knowing when the weather is going to change for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your injury. Consider it good reading time. If you get a taste for complaining, there are some wonderful examples in the collected letters of Hunter S. Thompson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all.

    Quick update - according to the orthopod, the fracture isn't too bad, and is healing nicely so I don't need any plaster. But, apparently, the arthritis in that ankle makes my joints look as though they belong to an old woman.

    If that's the case, she can have them back.

    ReplyDelete